Every parent in the world is delighted to hear the sound of their baby’s first cry, see their first smile, and even their first steps. But it is not easy having your first or newborn baby. Let us bless our sons and daughters with the prayers for new born baby in Islam. We listed some of the most beautiful Islamic well-wishes and prayers for new parents below.
- Prayers for New Born Baby in Islam: Boy and Girl
- Frequently Asked Questions: Prayers for New Born Baby in Islam
- Final Thoughts: Prayers for New Born Baby in Islam
Prayers for New Born Baby in Islam: Boy and Girl
Before having their children, Muslims think and say prayers for an unborn baby and the next generation. If a baby comes into the family, it creates a warm and loving atmosphere among Muslim families.
Families and friends express their well-wishes personally through gifts for new born baby, such as cash and sweets. But it is not an obligatory practice. Parents and relatives send prayers for baby girl or boy most of the time.
You May Be Interested >>> Catholic Prayers for New Born Baby
Adhan (Call of Prayer) and Iqamah
For Muslim parents, one of the religious practices or general instructions concerning a newborn baby is the Adhan and Iqamah. After the family bathes the newborn baby, they practice the recital of Adhan and Iqamah to ensure the babies safety.
The recital of the prayers is also the first time the baby gets to hear the greatness of Allah and ensures an unblemished faith against temptations. They also keep the evil away from the newborn baby. The Holy Prophet Muhammad advised calling the Adhan in the baby’s right ear while the Iqamah is left.
Sunnah Words of Congratulations
Imam Nawawī also recommended supplicating and seeking blessings for the newborn baby. If you have a relative or friend who had their first-born or newborn baby, you may refer to the books of Hadith. There are several supplications found for newborn babies.
Also Read >>> Happy Eid Mubarak Wishes and Messages
1. Transmitted in Musnad al-Bazzār (7310).
بَارَكَ اللهُ لَك فِيْهِ وَجَعَلَهُ بَرًّا تَقِيًّا
“May Allah instill blessings in him for you and make him righteous and God-fearing.”
2. Supplication from tābiʿūn or “followers of companions.”
جَعَلَهُ اللهُ مُبَارَكًا عَلَيْكَ وَعَلَى أمَّةِ مُحَمَّدٍ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ
“May Allah make him blessed for you and for the nation of Muḥammad.”
3. Transmitted in Ḥasan al-Baṣrī (d. 110/728)
شَكَرْتَ الْوَاهِبَ وَبُوْرِكَ لَكَ فِي الْمَوْهُوْبِ وَبَلَغَ أَشُدَّهُ وَرُزِقْتَ بِرَّهُ
“May you thank The Giver, may you be blessed in the gift, may the child reach the maturity of years, and may you be granted its righteousness.”
Honoring the Birth of the Baby
A baby is born to a beautiful family. To honor this beautiful event in every family, here are the words of congratulations and prayers for a baby.
Read This >>> Wishes and Message for New Born Baby to Parents
4. Imam al-Baqir (a.s.) said: “O child of three [great] days: The day which you were born, the day which you will enter your grave and the day on which you will come out towards your Lord. What great days they will be.”
االإمام الباقر عليه السلام: يَا ابنَ الأيّامِ الثَّلاثِ، يَومُكَ الَّذي وُلِدتَ فيهِ، و يَومُكَ الَّذي تَنزِلُ فيهِ قَبرَكَ، ويَومُكَ الَّذي تَخرُجُ فيهِ إِلى رَبِّكَ، فَيَا لَهُ مِن يَومٍ عَظيمٍ.
5. Imam al-Baqir (a.s.) said, while congratulating a man for his newborn child: “I ask Allah to make him a [worthy] successor in your life and a successor after you, for indeed a man succeeds his father in his life and after his death.”
عنه عليه السلام- في تَهنِئَتِهِ لِرَجُلٍ بِمَولودٍ أَسأَلُ اللهَ أن يَجعَلَهُ خَلَفاً مَعَكَ، وَ خَلَفاً بَعدَكَ، فَإِنَّ الرَّجُلَ يُخلِفُ أَباهُ فِي حَياتِهِ و مَوتِهِ.
6. Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.) said: “The greatest day of a person is the day he is born, and his smallest day is the day he dies.”
الإمام الصادق عليه السلام: أكبَرُ ما يَكونُ الإِنسانُ يَومَ يولَدُ، و أصغَرُ ما يَكونُ يَومَ يَموتُ.
7. Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.) said: “A man said when congratulating someone who was blessed with a son: “Congratulations for your newborn horseman.”
Imam Hasan (a.s.) said to him: “How do you know he will be a rider or a walker?”
The man said: “May I be sacrificed for you! Then what should I say?
He (a.s.) said: “Say: you have thanked the Giver [of this bounty], and may the given be a blessing for you. May he reach his perfection and may He sustain you with His kindness.”
عنه عليه السلام: هَنَّأَ رَجُلٌ رَجُلًا أصابَ ابناً فَقالَ: يُهنِئُكَ الفارِسُ. فَقالَ لَهُ الحَسَنُ عليه السلام: ما عِلمُكَ يَكونُ فارِساً أو راجِلًا؟
قَالَ: جُعِلتُ فِداكَ فَما أَقولُ؟
قال: تَقولُ: شَكَرتَ الواهِبَ، و بورِكَ لَكَ فِي المَوهوبِ، و بَلَغَ أَشُدَّهُ، و رَزَقَكَ بِرَّهُ.
8. al-Kafi, narrating from ‘Ali ibn al-Hakam, from one of the Shi’ah who said: “For the birth of one of his children, Abu al-Hasan Musa [al-Kazim] (a.s.) had a feast, and he fed fulazaj7 in large bowls to the people of Medina in mosques and lanes for three days.”
الكافي عن عليّ بن الحكم عن بعض أصحابنا: أولَمَ أبُو الحَسَنِ مُوسى عليه السلام وَليمَةً عَلى بَعضِ وُلدِهِ، فَأَطعَمَ أهلَ المَدينَةِ ثَلاثَةَ
أيّامٍ الفالوذَجاتِ في الجِفانِ فِي المَساجِدِ وَ الأزِقَّةِ.
Prayers for New Born Baby in Islam: The First Feeding
Another milestone parents are looking forward to is their newborn baby’s first meal. The following are the prayers for new born baby in Islam first feeding.
9. The Prophet (s.a.w.) said: “The first thing a newborn should be fed is warm water.”17
رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله: يُحَنَّكُ المَولودُ بِالماءِ السُّخنِ.
10. Musnad Abu Ya’la, narrating from Abu Musa who said: “A son was born to me. I took him to the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) and he named him Ibrahim. He then fed him a date [as the first piece of food he ate], prayed that he be blessed, and he then returned him to me.”18
مسند أبي يعلى عن أبي موسى: وُلِدَ لي غُلامٌ فَأتَيتُ بِهِ رَسولَ اللهِ صلى الله عليه وآله، فَسَمَّاهُ إبراهيمَ و حَنَّكَهُ بِتَمرَةٍ، و دَعا لَهُ بالبَرَكَةِ، و دَفَعَهُ إلَيّ.
11. Sahih Muslim, narrating from ‘Aishah who said: “Newborns were brought to the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.) and he blessed and was the first to feed them.”19
صحيح مسلم عن عائشة: أنّ رسولَ اللهِ صلى الله عليه وآله كانَ يُؤتى بالصّبيانِ فَيُبَرِّكُ عَلَيهِم و يُحَنِّكُهُم.
12. Imam ‘Ali (a.s.) said: “Feed your newborns firstly with dates, as the Prophet (s.a.w.) did so with Hasan and Husayn (a.s.).”20
الإمام عليّ عليه السلام: حَنِّكوا أولادَكُم بالتَّمرِ، هكَذا فَعَلَ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وآله بِالحَسَنِ والحُسَينِ عليهما السلام.
13. al-Kafi, narrating from Yunus, from one of the companions that Abu Ja’far [al-Baqir] (a.s.) said: “The first food of a newborn should be the water of the Euphrates, and the Iqamah is to be recited in his ear.”
In another narration he (a.s.) said: “The first food that should be given to your children is water from the Euphrates and soil from the grave of Husayn (a.s.), and if that is not possible, then with rain water.”21
الكافي عن يونس عن بعض أصحابه عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام: يُحَنَّكُ المَولودُ بِماءِ الفُراتِ، و يُقامُ في أُذنِهِ.
وفي رِوايةٍ اخرى: حَنِّكُوا أولادَكُم بِماءِ الفُراتِ و بِتُربَةِ قَبرِ الحُسَينِ عليه السلام، فَإن لَم يَكُن فَبِماءِ السَّماءِ.
14. Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.) said: “Let the first thing your children eat be the soil from the grave of Husayn (a.s.), for it is a safeguard.”22
الإمام الصادق عليه السلام: حَنِّكوا أولادَكُم بِتُربَةِ الحُسَينِ عليه السلام؛ فَإِنَّها أمانٌ.
15. Imam al-Ridha said, in al-Fiqh –a book attributed to him: “When a child is born, feed him first with water from the Euphrates if you are able to, otherwise with honey.”23
الإمام الرضا عليه السلام- فِي الفِقهِ المَنسوبِ إلَيهِ وحَنِّكهُ بِماءِ الفُراتِ إن قَدَرتَ عَلَيهِ أو بِالعَسَلِ ساعَةَ يولَدُ.
Islamic Dua for Baby
A new born baby in Islam is always exciting news for couples. One way to show your happiness for the couple and their baby is by praying for success. Besides the detailed attention from birth to adulthood, saying your prayers help protect them from harm. Learn more about this beautiful practice among Muslims with graceful dua for baby examples and their purposes in English.
Related Post >>> Perfect Facebook Status for New Born Baby
16. O Allah, I seek refuge in You for it and for my descendants from the cursed devil.
This prayer keep devils away from the baby.
17. I seek refuge with the perfect sentences of God, from all the temptations of the devil and disturbing beasts, and from the evil eye. (HR Abu Daud 3371)
Newborn babies are always curious about everything around them. They may want to know more about them through grabbing and eating the items surrounding them. With this dua for newborn, we keep the baby away from temptation of the devil.
18. May Allah bless you children who are given to you. May you be grateful to the Giver, and he is able to reach adulthood, and you are blessed with his goodness. “ (Al-Hasan)
Remembering Allah is always a part of the Islamic faith. The prayer means that Allah will bless goodness for the baby’s life and the hope that the baby grows up remembering Allah as well.
19. May Allah bless you and bring happiness to you. May Allah reward you with the best of rewards, to give you like and multiply your reward.
The dua hopes for the babies to bring happiness to the family.
Examples for New Born Baby Wishes
Learn More >>> How to Announce Baby Birth on Facebook
20. Then called him the Angels when he (was) standing – praying in the prayer chamber. “Indeed, Allah gives you glad tidings of Yahya, confirming [of] a Word from Allah and a noble and chaste and a Prophet among the righteous.” (Al-Imran 3:39)
21. May Allah bless you in his own special ways and may you have a blessed life ahead. Happy Birthday, dear!
22. My life is beautiful because I have you in my life. I sincerely thank Allah Miya for the same. Happy birthday to you my dear!
23. Love and luck are two important things that one wants in life. Today, I pray to Allah to bless you with infinite love and luck in your life. Happy birthday!
24. Sending a warm hug and joyful wishes along with this text. May Allah keep an eye on you always and take care of you while you walk the paths of life! Happy birthday!
25. Allah always keeps his eyes on nice and humble people, and you are one of the nicest and humble people on earth. He is always there for you. Happy birthday!
26. Blow the candles and make a wish, Allah is always listening. Happy birthday!
27. This birthday, I pray to Allah to give you whatever your heart desires for. Happy birthday to you!
28. May Allah show you miracles every day and may you be the luckiest soul on earth. This is what I pray for you on this special day of yours. Happy birthday dear!
29. Faith is important. May you continue to shine and work for your future endeavours! Don’t worry, Allah is always there for you! Happy birthday!
30. May Allah bless you in His gift to you, may you give thanks to the giver of this gift, may the child reach the maturity of years, and may you be granted its righteousness.
31. I take refuge with the words of Allah from all demons, distresses, and evil views.” (HR. At Tirmidzi no. 2060)
32. “Then the Prophet asked for a date, then he chewed it and placed it in the mouth of the baby. The first food that goes into the baby’s stomach is the saliva of the Messenger of Allah, then he prayed for it and begged for it.” (HR Bukhari 3909)
33. “Whoever is awarded a child then he admits in his right ear and iqamah in his left ear, then the child will not be disturbed by the jinn.” (Al-Abani no. 321)
34. He created you from a soul single. Then He made it its mate. And He sent down for you of the cattle eight kinds. He creates you in (the) wombs (of) your mothers, creation after creation, in darkness[es] three. That (is) Allah your Lord; for Him (is) the dominion. (There is) no god except He. Then how are you turning away? (Az-Zumar 39:6)
35. He (is) the One Who created you from dust, then from a semen-drop, then from a clinging substance, then He brings you out (as) a child; then lets you reach your maturity, then lets you become old – and among you (is he) who dies before – and lets you reach a term specified, and that you may use reason. (Ghafir 40:67)
36. Indeed, your Lord (is) Allah the One Who created the heavens and the earth in six epochs, then He ascended to the Throne. He covers the night (with) the day seeking it rapidly and the sun and the moon and the stars – subjected by His command. Unquestionably for Him (is) the creation and the command, blessed (is) Allah, Lord (of) the worlds. (Al-Araf 7:54) [AdSense-C]
37. Allah – (there is) no God except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of all that exists. Not overtakes Him slumber [and] not sleep. To Him (belongs) what(ever) (is) in the heavens and what(ever) (is) in the earth. (Al-Baqarah 2:255)
38. And Allah brought you forth from the wombs (of) your mothers, not knowing anything, and made for you the hearing and the sight and the hearts so that you may give thanks. (An-Nahl 16:78)
39. “He (is) the One Who created you from a single soul and made from it its mate that he might live with her. And when he covers her, she carries a burden light and continues with it. But when she grows heavy, they both invoke Allah, their Lord, “If You give us a righteous (child), surely we will be among the thankful.” (Al-Araf 7:189)
40. “O Allah make him healthy perfectly, O Allah correct his character, make eloquent his tongue and melodize his voice to read the Qur’an and hadith with blessings of Prophet Muhammad S.a.w.”
Dua for Baby Boy
Next on our list are messages and dua for new baby boys in the family. When you have a friend or relative who just had their baby boy, here are examples of dua and congratulatory messages that you can say in English besides giving gifts for new born baby boy.
Check This Out >>> Pregnancy Announcement Ideas for Facebook
41. Allah Most High says regarding Sayyiduna Ibrahim (peace be upon him), “So We gave him [Ibrahim] the good news of a forbearing boy.” (Qur’an 37:101)
42. In reference to Sayyiduna Zakariyya (peace be upon him), Allah Most High says, “O Zakariyya, We give you the good news of a boy whose name is Yahya…” (Qur’an 19:7)
43. They said, “(Do) not be afraid, indeed, we [we] bring glad tidings to you of a boy learned.” (Al-Hijr 15:53)
44. “O Zakariya! Indeed, We [We] give you glad tidings of a boy his name (will be) Yahya, not We (have) assigned [for] it before (this) name.” (Maryam 19:7)
45. So We gave him the glad tidings of a boy forbearing. (As-Saffat 37:101)
Dua for Girl Babies
The dua samples are not only for a new born baby girl but for boys as well. The examples also praise the family and guardian, wishing them bliss in their newfound joy from their newborn baby girl.
Check This Out >>> Facebook Status, Messages, and Quotes for New Born Baby Girl
46. I seek refuge with the perfect sentences of God, from all the temptations of the devil and disturbing beasts and from the evil eye. (HR Abu Daud 3371)
47. “I take refuge with the words of Allah from all demons, distresses, and evil views.” (HR. At Tirmidzi no. 206
48. “Then the Prophet asked for a date, then he chewed it and placed it in the mouth of the baby. The first food that goes into the baby’s stomach is the saliva of the Messenger of Allah, then he prayed for it and begged for it.” (HR Bukhari 3909)
49. “Whoever is awarded a child then he admits in his right ear and iqamah in his left ear, then the child will not be disturbed by the jinn.” (Al-Abani no. 321)
50. He created you from a soul single. Then He made it its mate. And He sent down for you of the cattle eight kinds. He creates you in (the) wombs (of) your mothers, creation after creation, in darkness[es] three. That (is) Allah your Lord; for Him (is) the dominion. (There is) no god except He. Then how are you turning away? (Az-Zumar 39:6)
51. Indeed, your Lord (is) Allah the One Who created the heavens and the earth in six epochs, then He ascended to the Throne. He covers the night (with) the day seeking it rapidly and the sun and the moon and the stars – subjected by His command. Unquestionably for Him (is) the creation and the command, blessed (is) Allah, Lord (of) the worlds. (Al-Araf 7:54)
Frequently Asked Questions: Prayers for New Born Baby in Islam
What is the prayer for newborns in Islam?
The Adhan (call to prayer) and the Iqama (second call to prayer) are traditionally whispered into the newborn’s ear shortly after birth.
What is the dua for newlyborn children?
The common dua for a newborn is to recite the Adhan and Iqama in their ears, seeking Allah’s protection, blessings, and a life of righteousness.
What do you say to a newborn baby in Islam?
It is a Sunnah to say the Adhan and Iqama into the baby’s right and left ears, respectively, and to supplicate for the child’s well-being, health, and righteousness.
Which Surah is good for newborn babies?
Surah Al-Falaq (Chapter 113) and Surah An-Naas (Chapter 114) are often recited for protection and blessings upon newborns.
What is the Sunnah after a baby is born?
After the birth of a baby, it is a Sunnah to perform the Tahneek, which involves rubbing a softened date or something sweet on the baby’s palate. Additionally, the Adhan and Iqama are recited in the baby’s ears.
What does the Quran say about the birth of a child?
The Quran mentions the significance of gratitude for the blessings of children. For example, in Surah Al-Furqan (25:74), it states: “And those who say, ‘Our Lord, grant us from among our wives and offspring comfort to our eyes and make us an example for the righteous.”
Final Thoughts: Prayers for New Born Baby in Islam
While others love to post newborn baby pics, Muslim families take the time to follow the beautiful practices of their religion. It also shows how much they love and welcome the latest addition to every family. If you are a relative, you can also send prayers for new born baby in Islam or write a fantastic welcome message for new born nephews and nieces.
Hello! I’m Babs Rodrigus, the voice and visionary behind Best FB Status. As a travel enthusiast and a dedicated mom of two, I’ve learned the art of balancing life’s adventures with the nuances of the digital world.
Based in Belgium, I’ve developed a keen eye for what makes social media tick. While my heart lies in exploring new places and creating memories with my family, I’ve also found a unique niche in understanding and sharing the dynamics of social media engagement.
At Best FB Status, I bring a fresh perspective, combining my real-world experiences with the ever-evolving landscape of social media. I’m here to guide you through the maze of online trends, helping you craft the perfect status updates that resonate and engage.